Job shop scheduling problems can be solved by either rule-of-thumb or mathematical algorithms. But neither method can take the flexibility and complexity of a real situation into accounts to the appropriate extent. An interactive scheduling method is presented to combine the experience of experts and the computing power of the computer.
In this thesis, after reviewing the issues associate with an interactive scheduling method, we develop an interactive scheduling system for a make-to-order manufacturing system. This manufacturing system has the following characteristics:
1) it is flow shop manufacturing system.
2) setup takes a long time.
3) two bottleneck processes exist.
4) new setup activity is required due to the type of order
The scheduling system developed in this study has the following features:
1) the contents of the schedule may be displayed day by day.
2) the user can change the schedule.
3) the contents of the schedule may be saved or retrieved.
4) bottleneck amount can be displayed.
5) summary reports can be provided.